Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Reading and enjoying the weather

The weather the last two days has been glorious: in the 70s, low humidity, breezy, crystalline blue skies. (Note to the Goddess: we could still use a good, steady, soaking rain.) I've been enjoying a couple books I've taken out from the library, both of which I want to add to my personal library when I can. Goddess Initiation, by Francesca de Gandis, is a 12-month program based in Celtic Shamanism, with a host of straightforward and practical exercises that are by all accounts quite powerful. The reviews at amazon.com, to which I've linked (although I encourage everyone to buy books from their local independent booksellers), express strong opinions, whether positive or negative. I enjoyed reading them. Both Starhawk and Margot Adler praise her work, and those are good enough recommendations for me. The cover art is a bit cheesy; sadly, that's too often the case with Pagan books. The other book I'm reading is A Witch Alone by Marian Green. This is also a 12-month - or, more accurately, 13 moon - course in Wicca. It's pitched at a level higher than beginner's, although I think beginners could still gain a lot from the book. I'm enjoying Green's very good writing.

I've also lately found some inexpensive books at used bookstores. (Best score: a hardcover, unmarked copy of The Chalice and the Blade for $1!). I'm always updating my occult library page, so if you're the sort of person who loves to browse other people's bookshelves, have a look. I welcome suggestions wholeheartedly.

(A note to amazon reviewers: if you can't spell - if you don't know the difference between 'your' and 'you're' - I'm not going to take your reviews seriously. Don't waste your breath.)

2 comments:

Andy Ternay said...

Wow, that is an impressive library! Thanks for posting it. Mine is much thinner. I have been interested in Carol Crist's ideas for a while, can you recommend a book of hers to start with?

Inanna said...

Hi Andy,

Yes, I was surprised when I catalogued the whole library to find how many books I have that count as "spiritual," broadly construed. I have extensive libraries in philosophy and women's studies, too. I'm a book fiend. And I have a wish list of Pagan books that's almost 50 items long! I keep adding to it.

I always recommend one paper of Christ's to start with. It's called "Why Women Need the Goddess," and it's anthologized in a number of places; it's also in "The Laughter of Aphrodite." My favorite book of hers is The Rebirth of the Goddess; that would also be a good place to start.

Cheers!