Thursday, August 11, 2005

Further thoughts on simplicity

Simplicity is not about deprivation.

Simplicity is not about adopting a scarcity mentality.

Simplicity is about developing awareness of the choices I'm making every day.

Simplicity is about consciousness, about being awake.

Simplicity is about being honest with myself.

Simplicity is about making choices that further my well being.

Simplicity is being deliberate about how I want to live.

Simplicity is about conserving energy and resources.

Simplicity is about gratitude to Gaia and humble acknowledgement of her gifts.

Simplicity is about having enough.

Simplicity is about taking enormous pleasure in swimming in a pond, making lunch at home, camping under the stars, walking to the library to find new books, sitting and talking with a friend on her front porch, going to the farmers' market, slowly gleaning my possessions and giving away what I no longer use.

Simplicity is about responding to my body's needs: for food, movement, touch, sex, laughter, sleep.

Simplicity is about slowing down regularly to hear my soul's call.

Simplicity is about creating the life I want to have.

3 comments:

Turtleheart said...

Your thoughts/posts on simplicity are great food for thought. I find myself mulling over many of the same things.

My experience at the Fest reminded me (yet again) about how *little* we really can live with; and also how *important* basic things like fire and water are to survival...

Inanna said...

Thank you, turtleheart.

Starwood, the festival I went to a month ago, inspired me to think about these things, too. I remember sitting by myself at the campsite one night early in the week, staring into the fire, and really understanding in my body how ancient people could have worshipped fire - and air, water, earth. These things really are elemental, fundamental, and our life depends on them in a very basic way.

I'm glad you had a good time at Fest!

Laura said...

Simplicity is about being honest with myself.

Simplicity is about gratitude to Gaia and humble acknowledgement of her gifts.

Simplicity is about slowing down regularly to hear my soul's call.


Your list resonated with me, but especially these three. I too fill up my life with too many things - why? Thanks for these thoughts.