Friday, May 09, 2008

The lioness, 1910-2008

This Beltane season has been beautifully liminal for me, for several reasons. I'm holding that liminal space in my body and breath.

Last night around 9 p.m. my beloved grandmother passed beyond the veil. She was 98 years old. She died holding the hands of both her daughters, my mother and my aunt, who talked her over and beyond. It was a peaceful death.

She had been dying for several weeks. I got to see her two weeks ago, to tell her I loved her and to hear her say that she loved me. My grandma was a formidable woman, someone who taught me unconditional love, the kind of love I can feel in my bones. Dying, she was radiant with light. I held her hands, then her feet. I watched her face. I sensed the presence around her, knew that our ancestors were holding her, waiting for her to join them. I expect she'll be one of the first I see when it's my turn to cross over the threshold again.

About a week ago, she had a vision of the Mother--for her, Mary. She called out, "Mother!" At her bedside, my mom said, "is it your mother?" Grandma shook her head. "Is it Jesus's mother?" Grandma nodded. My mother was slightly appalled, also amused; Lutherans don't believe in the divinity of Mary. But I know Whom she saw.

One of the last things she said was, "life goes by too fast."

Blessings, safe passage, and safe return, beloved one.

8 comments:

Andy said...

I love the affection with which you hold your grandmother and I, too, wish her a safe passage.

Anonymous said...

So poignant. Life does indeed go by too fast.

Blessings upon you all

Hecate said...

May the Goddess guard her. May she find her way to the Summerlands. May her friends and family know peace

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear of your grandmother's passing but grateful it was under such conditions where goodbyes were said and she felt love as she crossed over.

Aquila ka Hecate said...

Your grandmother's passing sounds like just the way I would like to cross - with a few well-beloved to help me, to open the gates.
Beautiful, it sounded.
I love to hear about what those making the great transition see and hear just before they go.
Blessings to you in your grief an joy.

Love,
Terri in Joburg

Mary said...

Inanna, I recently discovered your beautiful blog. I know that your Grandma is happy on the far side of the veil.

Mary

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your grandmother's story. I agree with Terri above, that is how I would like to go too.

Dj Connell said...

What a beautiful moment and passing. Thank you for sharing this with us.

and what a wonderful woman. How lucky you both were (and are) to have each other.


Sia