Tuesday, September 13, 2005

A book meme

TurtleHeart tagged me for this meme ages ago, and I'm finally getting around to it.

What is the total number of books you own?

I'm guessing between 1500 and 2000. I have no idea.

What was the last book you bought?

The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron

What was the last book you read?

The Blood of Others by Simone de Beauvoir (A novel that examines the extent of individual moral responsibility under times of widespread crisis - in this case, WWII in France)

What are five books that have been particularly meaningful to you?

1. Little, Big by John Crowley (Magical realism, a family saga, and faery religion)

2. The Fifth Sacred Thing by Starhawk (A detailed and hopeful vision of the future; gorgeous and starkly inspirational)

3. The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir (The founding text of modern feminism, and a visionary if ill-understood work of art)

4. I'm not Stiller by Max Frisch (Mid-century Central European fiction examining the instability of personal identity)

5. A Room of One's Own by Virgina Woolf (Began my passionate devotion to women's art and creativity.)

6. Feminist Theory From Margin to Center by bell hooks (Jolted me out of my white girl's perspective and gave me respect for the role of men in feminist movement)

No comments: